Thursday, April 22

Bon Appétit Earns Its Inheritance


When Gourmet magazine folded, I was heartbroken. After their final issue, the remainder of my subscription rolled over to Bon Appétit, so it seems they inherited the Gourmet throne. I didn't have high expectations, based on my initial exposure to the magazine, circa 2004. I viewed it as a less sophisticated version of the iconic Gourmet. To my surprise, I have devoured each issue, prepared multiple recipes, and learned new things about food. I realized that for me, Gourmet was about food photography and clean, attractive design. Oh, and travel. I can map out half of the food world thanks to Gourmet's little trips into places like Trinidad and Tobago. Somehow, though, Bon Appétit's recipes appeal more to my everyday taste and are proving to be more accessible.

Bon Appétit now features a column called Cooking Life with Molly Wizenberg, who also has a popular blog called Orangette. Upon discovering this, I knew the magazine and I were on the same page, so to speak. For Christmas, my mom gave me a fabulous book by Molly W. called A Homemade Life. I was so taken by the stories and recipes that I made her chocolate cake recipe for my birthday, trusting it would make me proud. It was a hit with the friends - the perfect balance of moisture and crumb with a robust, smooth chocolate flavor. Molly's articles for Bon Appétit are like an extension of her book.


Bon Appétit does a great job of covering food trends, as well. The May issue features a piece on the NYC beer scene, highlighting German-style beer gardens, which seem to be popping up everywhere. Even D.C. has a Biergarten Haus opening in May!

Saying goodbye to Gourmet was tough, but I'm extending a big warm HELLO! to Bon Appétit.

No comments:

Post a Comment